`Global response needed against drug trafficking`
United Nations: India has called for a coordinated global response to arrest the threat posed by transnational organised crime, drug trafficking, terrorism and
"We believe that the United Nations is the best mechanism for developing this coherent transnational response," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma has said.
"India is committed to strengthening the international normative and legislative mechanisms that are required to create a framework for countering this threat," he said, adding that India had joined the UN Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime in May.
In its annual drug report, the UN has pointed out that most of the heroin in the South Asian market went to Indian local criminal groups.
"With a value of USD 1.4 billion, the biggest market is in India," said the report released yesterday.
The report said that South Asia was an important consumption and transit point for Afghan heroin in 2009.
It, however, pointed out that domestically produced heroin and opium is half of what is consumed in India.
Yury Fedotov, head of the UN department on drugs and crime (UNODC), said that drug trafficking is fuelling global criminal enterprise worth billions of dollars that is
undermining development and security.
"We are witnessing more and more acts of violence, conflicts and terrorist activities fuelled by drug lords," Fedotov told the 15-member council.
Fedotov suggested a four pronged approach—strengthened international cooperation, building regional capacity around fragile states like Afghanistan, reinforcing the rule of law and criminal justice system, and adopting a cross-disciplinary strategy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune