`Global response needed against drug trafficking`
United Nations: India has called for a coordinated global response to arrest the threat posed by transnational organised crime, drug trafficking, terrorism and
"We believe that the United Nations is the best mechanism for developing this coherent transnational response," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma has said.
"India is committed to strengthening the international normative and legislative mechanisms that are required to create a framework for countering this threat," he said, adding that India had joined the UN Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime in May.
In its annual drug report, the UN has pointed out that most of the heroin in the South Asian market went to Indian local criminal groups.
"With a value of USD 1.4 billion, the biggest market is in India," said the report released yesterday.
The report said that South Asia was an important consumption and transit point for Afghan heroin in 2009.
It, however, pointed out that domestically produced heroin and opium is half of what is consumed in India.
Yury Fedotov, head of the UN department on drugs and crime (UNODC), said that drug trafficking is fuelling global criminal enterprise worth billions of dollars that is
undermining development and security.
"We are witnessing more and more acts of violence, conflicts and terrorist activities fuelled by drug lords," Fedotov told the 15-member council.
Fedotov suggested a four pronged approach—strengthened international cooperation, building regional capacity around fragile states like Afghanistan, reinforcing the rule of law and criminal justice system, and adopting a cross-disciplinary strategy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi