Goa CM takes on Supreme Court over mining ban
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, taking on the Supreme Court, has said it was not adhering to the judicial doctrine of "justice delayed is justice denied" when it came to Goa.
"How can the Supreme Court stop a major activity for six months, when justice delayed is justice denied," Parrikar asked, while speaking to a gathering of top industrialists at a function Saturday to mark the annual day of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
"I will put it across to them (Supreme Court) bluntly if I get a chance. I will say you are living in ivory towers," Parrikar said.
Mining in Goa has been banned by the Supreme Court since October last year.
The apex court is hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) on illegal mining filed by noted lawyer Prashant Bhushan along with local green NGOs. The petition followed closely on the heels of a finding of a judicial commission, led by Justice MB Shah, which exposed a Rs.35,000 crore illegal mining scam in Goa.
Responding to the PIL, the Goa government last month told the apex court through an affidavit that the findings of the Shah Commission and the Supreme Court`s empowered committee were incorrect.
The affidavit also requested the prompt resumption of mining in Goa, claiming that the state`s economy was floundering because of the ban on mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened