Goa CM takes on Supreme Court over mining ban
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, taking on the Supreme Court, has said it was not adhering to the judicial doctrine of "justice delayed is justice denied" when it came to Goa.
"How can the Supreme Court stop a major activity for six months, when justice delayed is justice denied," Parrikar asked, while speaking to a gathering of top industrialists at a function Saturday to mark the annual day of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
"I will put it across to them (Supreme Court) bluntly if I get a chance. I will say you are living in ivory towers," Parrikar said.
Mining in Goa has been banned by the Supreme Court since October last year.
The apex court is hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) on illegal mining filed by noted lawyer Prashant Bhushan along with local green NGOs. The petition followed closely on the heels of a finding of a judicial commission, led by Justice MB Shah, which exposed a Rs.35,000 crore illegal mining scam in Goa.
Responding to the PIL, the Goa government last month told the apex court through an affidavit that the findings of the Shah Commission and the Supreme Court`s empowered committee were incorrect.
The affidavit also requested the prompt resumption of mining in Goa, claiming that the state`s economy was floundering because of the ban on mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday