Goa Governor BV Wanchoo`s resignation accepted, Alva to hold charge
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on Monday accepted the resignation of BV Wanchoo who resigned as Governor of Goa on Friday.
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva took additional charge as the Governor of Goa.
A Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said that President accepted the resignation and appointed Alva to discharge the functions of the Governor of Goa.
This will be in addition to her own duties until regular arrangements for the office of the Governor of Goa are made, it said.
This is the second time 72-year-old Alva will be looking after as Governor besides her duties in Rajasthan. She was given the additional charge of Gujarat yesterday after the Governor there Kamla Beniwal was shifted to Mizoram for rest of her tenure till November next year.
Alva has a tenure till the first week of August.
Wanchoo resigned on July 4 after he received a call from Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami conveying the government`s wish that he submit his resignation.
The resignation of 63-year-old, a former chief of elite Special Protection Group, was sent to the President for acceptance.
A 1976-batch IPS officer, Wanchoo`s resignation had come days after former National Security Advisor M K Narayanan quit from Governorship of West Bengal.
Wanchoo was quizzed by CBI as a witness in connection with AgustaWestland deal bribery scandal as was Narayanan just before his resignation.
Besides Wanchoo and Narayanan, three Governors have already resigned and they are BL Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh) and Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland) following a nudge from the NDA government.
Two Governors H R Bhardwaj (Karnataka) and Devanand Konwar retired late last month.
However, a few other Governors appointed by the previous UPA regime continue to remain in office. They include K Sankaranarayanan (Maharashtra), Sheila Dikshit (Kerala), Jaganath Pahadia (Haryana), Kamala Beniwal (Gujarat), Shivraj V Patil (Punjab), besides some others.
The sources said the government was considering appointing some BJP veterans as Governors.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win