Goa Governor BV Wanchoo`s resignation accepted, Alva to hold charge
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on Monday accepted the resignation of BV Wanchoo who resigned as Governor of Goa on Friday.
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva took additional charge as the Governor of Goa.
A Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said that President accepted the resignation and appointed Alva to discharge the functions of the Governor of Goa.
This will be in addition to her own duties until regular arrangements for the office of the Governor of Goa are made, it said.
This is the second time 72-year-old Alva will be looking after as Governor besides her duties in Rajasthan. She was given the additional charge of Gujarat yesterday after the Governor there Kamla Beniwal was shifted to Mizoram for rest of her tenure till November next year.
Alva has a tenure till the first week of August.
Wanchoo resigned on July 4 after he received a call from Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami conveying the government`s wish that he submit his resignation.
The resignation of 63-year-old, a former chief of elite Special Protection Group, was sent to the President for acceptance.
A 1976-batch IPS officer, Wanchoo`s resignation had come days after former National Security Advisor M K Narayanan quit from Governorship of West Bengal.
Wanchoo was quizzed by CBI as a witness in connection with AgustaWestland deal bribery scandal as was Narayanan just before his resignation.
Besides Wanchoo and Narayanan, three Governors have already resigned and they are BL Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh) and Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland) following a nudge from the NDA government.
Two Governors H R Bhardwaj (Karnataka) and Devanand Konwar retired late last month.
However, a few other Governors appointed by the previous UPA regime continue to remain in office. They include K Sankaranarayanan (Maharashtra), Sheila Dikshit (Kerala), Jaganath Pahadia (Haryana), Kamala Beniwal (Gujarat), Shivraj V Patil (Punjab), besides some others.
The sources said the government was considering appointing some BJP veterans as Governors.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details