Goa police alert Mumbai cops about HuJI terror suspect
Mumbai: Goa police have alerted their Mumbai counterparts about possible presence of a HuJi terror suspect in the metropolis after he left the coastal state two days ago.
"Goa police have informed us over telephone that one of the two terror suspects has left for Mumbai in a train on Tuesday," Raj Khilnani, Additional Director General (Railways)
told a news agency.
"We are alert and maintaining strict vigil. We are co-ordinating with the security agencies to avert any untoward incident," he said.
According to police sources, security agencies had inputs that the terror suspect was to alight at Dadar railway station to meet someone yesterday.
Police, however, said they are not sure if the terror suspect arrived in the city or not.
As per the city police, Goa police had received inputs that Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) terror suspects Kalimuddin Khan alias Rameshwar Pandit (28) and Hafij Khijir
Ulla Sarif (25) were spotted in Goa recently.
While an high alert was sounded in Goa, Mumbai police were also alerted about the possible presence of one of them in the city.
Last month during the Ganesh celebration, Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy had released photographs of two suspected HuJI terrorists - a clean-shaven Kalimuddin and bearded Hafij sporting a skull cap - and issued
an advisory to the citizens remain vigilant and watch out for the militants.
"A strict vigil was maintained at all the railway stations, particularly at Dadar, and all passengers with suspicious behaviour were frisked but in vain," police said.
However, it is not sure if the terror suspect had arrived in the city or not, they said.
Following fresh inputs, Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad and Mumbai Crime Branch officials intensified their operations as the two terror suspects had plans to target the metropolis.
The city police also had specific information earlier that the militants had plans to target Lalbaug area where Lalbaugcha Raja, the city`s most popular Ganesh idol, was
The police have set up dedicated phone numbers – 22633333 and 22625020 - to enable people to pass on information about the militants and in case of emergency.
Soon after the release of the terror suspects photographs, the control room was flooded with phone calls as the citizens claimed to have spotted them but police returned
empty handed when they reached the spots to verify the information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh