Goa "rape" capital of India: Minister
Panaji: Concerned over the spurt in
incidents of sexual assault on women tourists, Goa Tourism
Minister Fransisco Pacheco said today the state may gain
notoriety as the "rape capital" of India.
In a letter to Chief Minister Digamber Kamat, a copy
of which is with PTI, Pacheco said an impression was gaining
ground that the police in Goa was either "grossly incompetent
or influenced by other factors", as a result of which
complaints were not properly investigated.
The minister was referring to the recent alleged rape
of a 25-year-old Russian by a high-profile south Goa
politician John Fernandes.
"Goa may soon, if police inaction or ineffectiveness
continues, gain reputation as the rape capital of India, a
situation which cannot be permitted to develop at any cost,"
Pacheco said in the missive he shot off to Kamat today.
Pacheco, who recently received a letter from Russian
Consul General in Mumbai Alexander Mantytsky seeking proper
investigation into the alleged rape and police harassment
of the victim, said it was "disheartening" to note that
foreign consulates and embassies were called upon to intervene
in matters involving their nationals, which was entirely
due to failure of the police to take prompt action on
complaints lodged by foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31