Goa rape case mishandled: Russia
Panaji:: Russian officials have expressed annoyance over the mishandling of the case involving the alleged rape of a Russian girl, and have written a letter to Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat urging him to look into the matter with some seriousness.
In her complaint filed earlier this month, the 25-year-old woman who is associated with a five star hotel has alleged that Goa politician John Fernandes raped her in his car on the night of December 1, after dropping her friend to her place. She said her friend knew Fernandes, who offered to drop them that night.
The Russian consulate has also expressed displeasure over remarks made by Kamat where he questioned what the alleged victim was doing late at night with Fernandes.
The consulate has pointed out that Goa has a poor record in solving rape and murder cases.
It has also advised Russian nationals not to leave their hotels after 10 p.m. and invite trouble, as the Goa government is not capable of ensuring the safety of foreign nationals.
The Goa rape case was debated in the Parliament on Monday, after Shantaram Naik, a Congress MP from Goa suggested that the victim was to blame.
"An alleged rape of a lady who moves with strangers for days together even beyond middle of the night is to be treated on different footings," he said, adding that while rape is a heinous crime.
A Goa city court on Monday cancelled the anticipatory bail granted earlier to Fernandes.
In her complaint to the Russian consulate, the alleged victim has said that the local police pressurised her to withdraw the case and that she felt unsafe after the incident. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview