Goa rape: NCW slams Cong MP`s remarks
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women on Wednesday termed as "derogatory and irresponsible" the remarks of a Congress MP from Goa on the alleged rape of a Russian woman in the state.
"The remark is derogatory and irresponsible. Rape is rape and cannot be classified on a different footing," NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas said here.
She said a victim is always a victim. "So she is a victim...I don`t know why he uttered those words".
Congress MP Shantaram Naik had said in Rajya Sabha yesterday that if a woman moves with strangers in the late hours, the case of rape should be treated differently, evoking strong protests from women members.
Raising the issue of the alleged rape of a Russian woman, Naik said the electronic media was blowing the case out of proportion.
He said while rape is the most heinous crime, "...an alleged rape of a lady who moves with strangers for days together even beyond middle of the night is to be treated on different footings."
Naik`s comments evoked strong protests by opposition members particularly Brinda Karat (CPI-M), Najma Heptulla, Maya Singh (BJP)and Jaya Bachchan (SP).
They sought intervention of the Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan, saying Naik should not be allowed to speak the language which, they said, was derogatory to women.
Khan asked the Goa MP to submit his Zero Hour text for examination and said the member was going beyond the subject he wanted to raise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies