Goa to provide recreation base for warships
Panaji: Goa is all set to provide Rest and
Recreation (R&R) base for warships calling the port from
across the globe.
"An exclusive berth is being constructed at the port and
the work is expected to be over by March 2011," Mormugao Port
Trust (MPT) Chairman Praveen Agarwal told reporters today.
The Rs 33-crore facility with a length of 270 metres and
which will be 22 metres wide is expected to augment warship
traffic to the port.
"Soldiers usually take a break once in six months for
rest and recreation and Goa could be the most preferred place
for the purpose," Agarwal said.
MPT, which is one of the biggest port trusts on the
Western Coast, currently receive only a few ships for rest and
Agarwal pointed out that an added benefit of the new
facility is that soldiers who land for a break tend to spend
lavishly which will boost the economy of the state.
Meanwhile, realising that tourists arriving in Goa
through cruise ships are required to land near a coal dump or
iron ore heaps, the port trust is also developing an exclusive
berth for these ships.
"This berth costing about Rs 47 crore will be for
berthing of non-cargo vessels including cruise ships," he
said. The Chairman said the work on the project has commenced
and will be completed by December 2011.
The MPT catered to 19 cruise vessels during FY 2009-10
bringing in 18684 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!