God help you and God help this country: SC tells Govt
New Delhi: "God help this country", the Supreme Court observed on Monday, as it chided the Government on the issue of providing accommodation in the national capital to members of tribunals.
The court also put a poser as to whether the retired judges who are on the tribunals are expected to "roam" on the streets of Delhi.
A bench of justices RM Lodha and HL Gokhale issued notice to the Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development to furnish information on the number of vacant type 7 and 8 bungalows in the capital.
"You slip into deep slumber and you want court to wake you up? Why do you compel us to do something which we refrain from doing? God help you and God help this country," the bench observed, expressing its displeasure at the failure of authorities to provide Government accommodation to the Chairman and members of the Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal constituted a year back.
The tribunal was set up in November, 2010 to adjudicate the water dispute between Karnataka and Goa.
The bench was not impressed with the argument of the Additonal Solicitor General Harin Rawal who cited an April, 2012 office memorandum issued by the Government that the tribunal members were not entitled to Government accommodation under the general pool.
"As per rules they are entitled to get accommodation. You can`t deny them when vacancies are available. Do you expect the retired judges to roam on the streets of Delhi?
If you don`t want tribunals to function scrap the statutes (laws) which provide for appointment of judges for Tribunal," the bench observed while posting the matter to October 30 for further hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog