God help you and God help this country: SC tells Govt
New Delhi: "God help this country", the Supreme Court observed on Monday, as it chided the Government on the issue of providing accommodation in the national capital to members of tribunals.
The court also put a poser as to whether the retired judges who are on the tribunals are expected to "roam" on the streets of Delhi.
A bench of justices RM Lodha and HL Gokhale issued notice to the Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development to furnish information on the number of vacant type 7 and 8 bungalows in the capital.
"You slip into deep slumber and you want court to wake you up? Why do you compel us to do something which we refrain from doing? God help you and God help this country," the bench observed, expressing its displeasure at the failure of authorities to provide Government accommodation to the Chairman and members of the Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal constituted a year back.
The tribunal was set up in November, 2010 to adjudicate the water dispute between Karnataka and Goa.
The bench was not impressed with the argument of the Additonal Solicitor General Harin Rawal who cited an April, 2012 office memorandum issued by the Government that the tribunal members were not entitled to Government accommodation under the general pool.
"As per rules they are entitled to get accommodation. You can`t deny them when vacancies are available. Do you expect the retired judges to roam on the streets of Delhi?
If you don`t want tribunals to function scrap the statutes (laws) which provide for appointment of judges for Tribunal," the bench observed while posting the matter to October 30 for further hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Sensex zooms 485 points to 7-month high; Nifty recaptures 8,000-mark
- VHP accuses UP government of polarising people
- Sonal Chauhan, Ankit Tiwari's new song video 'Badtameez' is must watch for every heartbroken lover!
- State BJP, Congress, Left to boycott Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in, Arun Jaitley to attend
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan