Godhra sentencing based on dubious evidence: Swami Agnivesh
New Delhi: Noted civil rights activist Swami Agnivesh on Tuesday said that the sentencing of 11 people to the gallows and 20 others to life imprisonment in the Godhra train-burning incident was a "hollow case based on dubious evidence".
"The whole verdict appears to be weak as it is based on dubious evidence of a single person", Agnivesh said.
He recalled that the media had exposed the loopholes in the Godhra conspiracy theory.
"The verdict is a very weak, hollow one. It will come up for appeal in the higher court. I am sure the truth will come out at last", Agnivesh added.
According to the rights activist, the charge that Muslim conspirators collaborated with a Hindu vendor was unconvincing. The judge, he said, had "based the judgment on the basis of dubious evidence of a single person".
A special court in Ahmedabad on Tuesday sent to the gallows 11 people and gave life imprisonment to 20 others for the February 2002 burning of a train coach in Gujarat`s Godhra town, in which 59 people were killed, triggering a communal frenzy that claimed an estimated 1,000 lives in the state.
The 31 people were convicted Feb 22nd and held guilty of conspiring and setting on fire S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express near the Godhra railway station Feb 27th, 2002. The train, carrying many radical Hindu activists, was on its way back from Uttar Pradesh`s temple town Ayodhya.
The court had acquitted 63 others, including alleged mastermind Maulvi Saeed Umarji.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America