Godman held for attempt to rape US national
Dehradun: A self-styled godman has been
arrested on charges of attempt to rape a US tourist in
Rishikesh near here, police said on Sunday.
Ravindra Gaikwad alias Jagannath alias Swami
Shankaracharya Saraswati, who hails from Mumbai, was arrested
yesterday from Chilla area of Rishikesh by a team of special
operations group (SOG), they said.
The 25-year-old woman, a resident of Los Angeles, had
filed a complaint with the police that a saffron-clad godman
on the pretext of giving an ayurvedic massage tried to rape
her on Tuesday.
She had also lodged a complaint with the US Embassy in
Following the complaint, the SOG team had launched a
manhunt to trace Gaikwad, who had been hiding since then,
Last month, a British woman was allegedly gangraped in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi