Gogoi orders supply of subsidised LPG cylinders for hostels
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday directed that hostels of educational institutions in the state should be ensured adequate supply of subsidised LPG cylinders so that students were not inconvenienced.
"The chief minister has directed departments concerned to ensure that hostels in educational institutions are supplied adequate number of LPG cylinders at subsidised rates," an official statement said.
The directions comes in the wake of agitations launched in the past week by wards of hostels in various places across the state against rise in LPG cylinder prices and curtailment in the number of subsidised cylinders supplied every year.
Assam government had earlier said that people of the state would be entitled to nine LPG cylinders at subsidised rate, instead of six as decided by the central government.
Student outfits in the state welcomed Gogoi`s directive, but said the administration should ensure that the orders were carried out by the departments concerned.
"It is one thing to announce a decision and another to ensure that the directions are carried out. The earlier direction to supply nine cylinders at subsidised rate is yet to be implemented," Students` Federation of India state unit president Anshuman Sarma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?