Gogoi orders supply of subsidised LPG cylinders for hostels
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday directed that hostels of educational institutions in the state should be ensured adequate supply of subsidised LPG cylinders so that students were not inconvenienced.
"The chief minister has directed departments concerned to ensure that hostels in educational institutions are supplied adequate number of LPG cylinders at subsidised rates," an official statement said.
The directions comes in the wake of agitations launched in the past week by wards of hostels in various places across the state against rise in LPG cylinder prices and curtailment in the number of subsidised cylinders supplied every year.
Assam government had earlier said that people of the state would be entitled to nine LPG cylinders at subsidised rate, instead of six as decided by the central government.
Student outfits in the state welcomed Gogoi`s directive, but said the administration should ensure that the orders were carried out by the departments concerned.
"It is one thing to announce a decision and another to ensure that the directions are carried out. The earlier direction to supply nine cylinders at subsidised rate is yet to be implemented," Students` Federation of India state unit president Anshuman Sarma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’