`GoM on encephalitis has to deliver`
New Delhi: The group of ministers (GoM) formed on Japanese Encephalitis (JE), which has claimed over 400 lives in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, this year, has a huge role to play in the next six months, the country`s child rights panel said on Sunday.
"It is a good message that the GoM has been formed and they should send a serious message to the entire country that they are serious about the issue. Each ministry (in the GoM) has a huge role to play," Shanta Sinha, chairperson of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) told a news channel.
The government on Saturday formed the GoM, which comprises Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath, Social Justice Minister Mukul Wasnik, Minister of Rural Development and Drinking Water Sanitation Jairam Ramesh, and Minister of State (independent charge) of Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath.
Azad also visited Gorakhpur a few days back.
Sinha added: "Sanitation is a very very important issue. I do hope that the concerned ministry will take care of water and sanitation and train every ward member and train every gram panchayat member to see that water and sanitation mechanisms are in place."
The virus, which causes inflammation and infection in the brain, has also affected parts of Balrampur and Santnagar districts. Gorakhpur`s BRD Medical College, with a bed-strength of 200, was the only referral centre for the bordering regions that were affected by the disease.
"The GoM should give a concrete result at the time of next monsoons in June and July. Unless we see what happens in June and July, we will not know whether the group of ministers has really worked," Sinha said.
High rains combined with the moist conditions of the low-lying areas create ideal conditions for flooding and mosquito breeding, causing a surge in JE cases during the monsoons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM