GoM on new mines bill to meet again on July 30
New Delhi: A 10-member panel headed by
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee is expected to meet again at
the end of this month to resolve the inter-ministerial
differences over the proposed mining legislation after an
inconclusive meeting today.
"The Group of Ministers will meet on July 30 again. Only
4-5 ministers expressed their views on the subject today," a
senior government official said.
However, an official confirmation on the date of the next
meet could not be immediately ascertained.
Coming out of the meet, Mines Minister B K Handique said,
"Discussions went on fine today. We will again meet soon."
Elaborating on the meet, Mines Secretary Santha Sheela
Nair, who made the presentation on the bill to the panel,
said, "The bill has 113 sections compared to 43 sections in
the prevailing Mines Act, which governs the sector. Some
ministers gave their views today while others are yet to give
The new bill has a separate section on sustainable
development, with the objective of imparting justice to the
tribals, Nair said, adding, "The discussions are important,
We have legal licence to mine, we have environment licence
to mine, now we will have social licence to mine as well. Next
meet will take forward the discussions."
However, when asked if the Mines Ministry was pushing to
introduce the bill in the Monsoon session of Parliament
starting next week, she said, "We want it as soon as
Handique had earlier said that the bill could be
introduced in the winter session of Parliament. After GoM`s
deliberations, the bill will go to the Cabinet for approval.
"All important issues, including illegal mining, giving
equity to land losers, conservation of iron ore, were
discussed," Nair added.
Last month, the government had formed a Group of
Ministers (GoM) to debate the proposed legislation--Mines and
Minerals Development and RegulationAct, 2010--to govern the
Besides Mukherjee, the GoM includes Home Minister P
Chidambaram, Steel Minister Virbhadra Singh, Law Minister
Veerappa Moily, Mines Minister BK Handique, Commerce Minister
Anand Sharma, Tribal Affairs Minister Kantilal Bhuria,
Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia,
Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal, and Environment Minister
Planning Commission deputy chairman Ahluwalia, who could
be present in the meeting today, was represented by Planning
Commission Secretary Sudha Pillai.
Out of the four ministers that presented their views
today, Home Minister P Chidambaram gave his suggestion on a
proposal to make the displaced families stakeholders in the
mining project, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'