GoM will work to give functional autonomy to CBI: Chidambaram
London: Finance Minister P Chidambaram has said the Group of Ministers(GoM) headed by him will work towards giving CBI "functional autonomy" but at the same time asserted that accountability is "important".
Chidambaram`s comments yesterday came three days after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh approved the constitution of the high-powered Group of Ministers (GoM) to finalise a plan of action to secure the autonomy of the CBI.
"We will give CBI functional autonomy and we will assure CBI will have a large degree of functional autonomy in matter of investigation," said Chidambaram, who donned a hard hat and an orange colour construction worker suit, after he visited a construction site of the new Crossrail project in east London along with his British counterpart George Osborne.
The Finance Minister, who is on an official visit to the UK on the first leg of this three-nation tour to woo foreign investors, also addressed the issue of accountability.
"But all over the world--all bodies are accountable to somebody--they are accountable to executive, they are accountable to the legislature, they are accountable to the courts. I think what we have to ensure is that no one interferes with the investigations of the CBI," he told a news channel.
"I think what we have to do is to ensure that no one interferes with the investigation by the CBI that`s what we have to ensure and I am confident my group will assure that."
With the Supreme Court setting a July 10 deadline for the Centre to come out with a law to insulate CBI from external influence, the Government on Tuesday constituted a five-member GoM to draft a new legislation for the agency "within three weeks".
It also asked the ministerial body to prepare the draft affidavit to be filed in the apex court in this context within the same period.
The GoM was constituted against the backdrop of the stinging criticism of the CBI by the Supreme Court that the investigating agency is a "caged parrot" of its political masters.
Chidambaram also spoke on the issue of corruption, saying it is not only India`s story; in every country corruption allegations are common.
"One minister resigned not because of corruption but because of an allegation that he interfered with an investigation. The other minister resigned on moral grounds, there is no charge against him yet, no evidence against him yet," he said while speaking about the resignations of Railways Minister Pawan Bansal and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar.
When asked about next year`s general elections and his reluctance to put himself forward as a prime ministerial candidate, Chidambaram said, "I am quite happy if you call it lack of ambition. So let`s say lack of ambition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in