Good governance essential for India: Tharoor
Mumbai: Developing and preserving good
governance is essential for the country and it must become the
passion of future Governments, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor has
"Good governance transcends all administrative frontiers.
It requires politicians of all parties to recognise the
importance of working together for a common goal.
"When you see some parties disrupting Parliament...you
see them marching into the well and shouting slogans so that
the Speaker can`t be heard, thereby getting Parliament
suspended, there you see a classic example of a lack of
quality leadership in our political system," the former
Minister of State for External Affairs.
Tharoor was speaking at the IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National
Quality Awards and IMC Juran Quality Medal function here last
Quality solutions in a democracy like ours require a
quality debate, the former UN diplomat said. "I think the
pursuit of quality in India cannot happen without engendering
a new political ethos. We need people in politics to provide
quality leadership, just as we are doing in other areas."
"By and large, a leader is expected to lead. Even from
time to time, a good leader must also know, how to be a good
follower," Tharoor said.
"We have to identify quality solutions across the board
to our long-standing national problems. Problems of clean
drinking water, clean air, energy sufficiency, affordable
housing, good health and education, the nature of our problem
has not changed since Independence."
"We still have not solved the problems of providing the
`aam admi` with `roti kapda aur makan`," the Congress MP from
The IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Awards and IMC
Juran Quality Medal have been instituted to give special
recognition to excellence in organisations.
Tharoor presented the IMC Juran Quality Medal 2011 to
B K S Iyengar, founder of the popular Iyengar Yoga and a Padma
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi