`Good job`, Rana told LeT during 26/11 attack
Chicago: Terror suspect Tahawwur Hussain Rana complimented members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, saying they did a "good job" during the terror attacks in Mumbai last year, US prosecutors have alleged.
According to a 10-page memo filed by US prosecutors in a court here on Monday, Rana asked co-conspirator David Coleman Headley to "pass along a message for me" to LeT Member A, whom Rana had given the name `Khalid bin waleed`.
"In the world, if there had been...a medal for command, top class," the documents quote as Rana saying. It further adds that Headley then interrupts Rana and informs him that he already had passed that message and "I (Headley) took your (Rana`s) name when I said it". Rana responded "there is no doubt, it is a very befitting name for him. Very good. Good job".
Headley then explained that while LeT Member A briefed the attackers on the targets, Headley identified a different LeT member by name as the trainer of the attackers--"Training was by Abu Qahafa....this Jamaat (group) prepares people really well".
Rana responded that "whatever mixture you guys have made, whichever person did it...yeah, there they stood their ground".
Prosecutors added that "far from advocating non-violence, Rana`s own statements reveal his support for the brutal killing of 170 people...It is quite clear that Rana is no Gandhi".
Headley has been charged with conspiring in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks. Rana, through his lawyer Patrick Blegen, has denied that he was involved in the attacks that killed 167 people. Blegen was not available immediately for comment on the prosecutors` charges.
The documents filed by federal prosecutors also allege that Rana praised the terror outfit LeT when Headley mentioned that an LeT member would be used to carry out an attack on the National Defence College in India.
"After Headley states that `we` would use LeT Member A to carry out the attack on the Defense College, Rana again offered praise for Let Member A and LeT: "They should be really commended. I appreciate them from my heart", Rana said in a secretly recorded conversation with Headley.
Headley last week pleaded not guilty to charges he faces in connection with the Denmark and India plots. Rana, a Pakistani native and Canadian citizen, is charged with providing material support to a conspiracy to commit a terrorist attack overseas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter