Good news for homeless in Delhi, 87 new shelters opened
New Delhi: To provide relief to the homeless
from the biting cold wave sweeping across the national
capital, the authorities today opened 87 new night shelters,
which are expected to house 15,000 more people.
The move came a day after the Supreme Court directed the
Delhi government to ensure adequate shelters, blankets and
water facilities for the homeless.
The city government said it has opened 50 new centres
across Delhi. "We have made arrangements for 10,000 people.
The shelters have been made operational," Delhi Social Welfare
Ministers Mangat Ram Singhal said.
Complying with the Supreme Court directive, the MCD also
opened 37 new night shelters in various parts of the city,
which is under the grip of a cold wave.
"The new night shelters have been opened in the permanent
structures of the existing community halls of the Slum and JJ
(Jhuggi-Jhopri) Department. Their total capacity is about 5000
people," an MCD official said.
The MCD was already operating 27 night shelters.
Taking serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to cold, the apex court had yesterday directed
the government to ensure adequate shelters for them.
A bench of Justices Dalveer Bhandari and K S
Radhakrishnan had said the homeless should alternatively be
accommodated in unused government buildings if sufficient
facilities are not there to house them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried