Good news for homeless in Delhi, 87 new shelters opened
New Delhi: To provide relief to the homeless
from the biting cold wave sweeping across the national
capital, the authorities today opened 87 new night shelters,
which are expected to house 15,000 more people.
The move came a day after the Supreme Court directed the
Delhi government to ensure adequate shelters, blankets and
water facilities for the homeless.
The city government said it has opened 50 new centres
across Delhi. "We have made arrangements for 10,000 people.
The shelters have been made operational," Delhi Social Welfare
Ministers Mangat Ram Singhal said.
Complying with the Supreme Court directive, the MCD also
opened 37 new night shelters in various parts of the city,
which is under the grip of a cold wave.
"The new night shelters have been opened in the permanent
structures of the existing community halls of the Slum and JJ
(Jhuggi-Jhopri) Department. Their total capacity is about 5000
people," an MCD official said.
The MCD was already operating 27 night shelters.
Taking serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to cold, the apex court had yesterday directed
the government to ensure adequate shelters for them.
A bench of Justices Dalveer Bhandari and K S
Radhakrishnan had said the homeless should alternatively be
accommodated in unused government buildings if sufficient
facilities are not there to house them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown