Good that PM explained about block allocation to Hindalco: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday welcomed the PMO`s explanation that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had approved the coal block to industrialist Kumarmangalam Birla`s Hindalco and asked him to clear the air on other controversial allocations done when he held the coal portfolio.
"It is good that the Prime Minister has explained the story behind the coal block allocation to Hindalco though after much furore in the country over booking industrialists and bureaucrats," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told.
The Prime Minister`s Office has said that Singh had approved the coal block allocation to Hindalco and that there was no wrongdoing in it.
Civil society, bureaucrats and industrialists have openly objected to the CBI filing an FIR against Birla and then Coal Secretary PC Parakh.
The latter is known as a whistleblower in the case.
However, BJP maintained that Singh should come clear on the other block allocations done between 2006-09 when he had the charge of the coal ministry.
"Can he explain all the other coal allocations? Is it not true that many allocations were done to companies which are neither operators nor users of captive coal? Is it not true that there are many companies which sold their stakes at a whopping profit after getting the licence?" Javadekar asked.
The main Opposition further sought to know whether it is not true that many irregularities were brought to the attention of the Prime Minister even before the CAG report was prepared.
"Will the Prime Minister kindly explain all these other allocations?" Javadekar said.
Earlier, speaking in Baramath in Maharashtra, he raised the same issue and asked, "Can the nation now expect that he (PM) will explain all the allocations mentioned in all the 14 FIRs lodged till today?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in