Google admits `mistake` of wrong depiction of AP`s areas
New Delhi: Search engine Google on Saturday admitted its "mistake" of wrong depiction of certain areas of Arunachal Pradesh as parts of China and said its maps would be rectified shortly.
"Earlier, this week, as part of routine update to Google
earth, we published new data for the Arunachal Pradesh region
that changed the depiction of certain place names in the
product. The change was a result of a mistake in our
processing of new map data," a spokesperson for the search
giant said in a statement.
The spokesperson was reacting after a media report which
highlighted that Google map showed certain areas of Arunachal
Pradesh as parts of China. The media report had raised
suspicion about the search engine being hacked by Chinese
considering that Beijing has been laying claim over entire
Arunachal Pradesh, which India rejects.
"We are in the process of reverting the data to its
previous state and expect the change to be visible in the
product shortly," the spokesperson said.
"We would like to clarify that this issue did not impact
our depiction of international borders," the statement said.
Google Earth is a service of Google that lets users to
view satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings.
This is not the first time that Google Earth has come in
for criticism in India. Indian security agencies had earlier
been complaining that Google Earth exposes Indian defense and
other sensitive installations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew, restrictions continue for 51st day; businesses suffer losses of Rs 7,500 crore
- US flight from New Orleans to Orlando makes emergency landing after engine fails
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why