Google admits `mistake` of wrong depiction of AP`s areas
New Delhi: Search engine Google on Saturday admitted its "mistake" of wrong depiction of certain areas of Arunachal Pradesh as parts of China and said its maps would be rectified shortly.
"Earlier, this week, as part of routine update to Google
earth, we published new data for the Arunachal Pradesh region
that changed the depiction of certain place names in the
product. The change was a result of a mistake in our
processing of new map data," a spokesperson for the search
giant said in a statement.
The spokesperson was reacting after a media report which
highlighted that Google map showed certain areas of Arunachal
Pradesh as parts of China. The media report had raised
suspicion about the search engine being hacked by Chinese
considering that Beijing has been laying claim over entire
Arunachal Pradesh, which India rejects.
"We are in the process of reverting the data to its
previous state and expect the change to be visible in the
product shortly," the spokesperson said.
"We would like to clarify that this issue did not impact
our depiction of international borders," the statement said.
Google Earth is a service of Google that lets users to
view satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings.
This is not the first time that Google Earth has come in
for criticism in India. Indian security agencies had earlier
been complaining that Google Earth exposes Indian defense and
other sensitive installations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi