Gopinath Munde`s death a blow to Maharashtra BJP in election year
Mumbai: The death of Union Rural Development Minister Gopinath Munde in a road accident in Delhi on Tuesday comes as a huge setback to the Maharashtra BJP, which is aiming to wrest the power from the Congress-NCP combine -- ruling the state since 1999 -- in the Assembly elections.
Munde, a leader with a mass base, was the face of the party in the state and played a crucial role in the performance of `Mahayuti` (grand alliance of opposition parties in Maharashtra).
Mahayuti bagged 42 out of 48 Lok Sabha seats in the state.
Keen to expand the Shiv Sena-BJP alliance`s base in western Maharashtra and North Maharashtra, the strongholds of the Congress-NCP, Munde brought into its fold Raju Shetty, the MP of Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghtana from Hatkanangale, and Mahadev Jankar of Rashtriya Samaj Paksh who had polled over 90,000 votes in Maadha against NCP chief Sharad Pawar in 2009.
Political observers say that Munde had the knack of recognising potential of workers, and provided them a right platform.
He was also instrumental in bringing NCP leader Sanjay Patil, a local rival of Home Minister R R Patil in Sangli district, into BJP. Patil, as the BJP candidate from Sangli Lok Sabha seat, a Congress bastion, trounced Pratik Patil, grandson of former Chief minister Vasantdada Patil.
In tribal-dominated Nandurbar, Munde roped in Heena Gavit, daughter of NCP minister Vijay Kumar Gavit, to contest against Congress veteran Manikrao Gavit who was seeking a tenth term in the Lok Sabha. Heena went on to win the seat.
Other prominent BJP leaders in Maharashtra may not be able to match up to Munde`s mass appeal, political observers say.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city