Gopinath Munde`s Rs 8 cr poll expenditure remark under EC scanner
New Delhi: The remarks of senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde that he had spent around Rs 8 crore in the last Lok Sabha elections, which is much above the prescribed limit, came under the Election Commission`s scanner on Friday which initiated a probe into the matter.
The Election Commission started verifying the facts of the statement made by Munde in Mumbai yesterday and said it would take "appropriate action" as per law after verifying the facts.
The full Election Commission in its meeting chaired by Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath discussed the issue today and decided to procure a CD of the speech and transcribe the same before initiating further action.
Asked about any action on Munde`s statement, a senior EC official said, "Yes, we have come across such reports. The Commission is in the process of ascertaining and verifying the facts about it. After verifying the facts, it will take suitable action as appropriate under the law."
Munde, who is an MP from Beed and BJP`s deputy leader in the Lok Sabha, had yesterday said that he had spent a whopping Rs eight crore during his 2009 Lok Sabha election campaign. He made his statement at a book launch function in Mumbai where Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari were also present.
The prescribed limit for expenditure on poll campaign by a candidate in a Parliamentary constituency under the law is Rs 25 lakh.
In his speech in Mumbai yesterday, Munde while talking about his long electioneering career and bemoaning the increasing cost of contesting elections, had said, "I spent Rs 29,000 when I contested my first Assembly poll in 1980. Rs 8 crore were spent for my last (2009 Lok Sabha) election."
Earlier in the day, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari had sought EC action on Munde`s statement, saying the Commission should take cognizance of it. "If Munde has said he has spent Rs 7 to 8 crores, it would be proper the EC asks him. It is in the nation`s interest, and the responsibility of the EC," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared