Government assures steps to promote Urdu
New Delhi: The central government will take appropriate steps to promote the Urdu language, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said in the Lok Sabha Thursday.
Mukherjee`s assurance came after the leaders of all political parties, central ministers and even Speaker Meira Kumar expressed the need to strengthen the Urdu language.
"There are no two opinions about the importance of the Urdu language. It is part of the heritage of India," Mukherjee said.
He said the central government will ask all the state governments to initiate steps to strengthen this language.
"The prime minister has already instructed the information and broadcasting ministry to provide necessary encouragements and funds for promotion of the Urdu media," Mukherjee said.
He praised all parties for speaking in one voice on the issue.
The matter under public importance was raised by Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing