Government committed to an effective Lokpal: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government is committed to an effective Lokpal to check corruption.
"Our government stands committed to an effective Lokpal legislation," Manmohan Singh said at an all-party meeting on the Lokpal bill with Rajya Sabha members.
"We look forward to benefitting from the wisdom and guidance of all leaders present here in the task that we have set for ourselves," he said.
The Lokpal bill could not be passed in the Rajya Sabha during the winter session last year due to opposition moving a number of amendments and the government insisting that it needed time to study them.
The bill could not be put to vote even after hours of debate on the last day of the winter session.
The opposition had charged the government with shying away from a vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown