Government hands over Liberhan report to CBI
New Delhi: A day after the politically explosive Liberhan report on Babri Masjid demolition was tabled in the Parliament, the Centre on Wednesday decided to hand over the report to the CBI.
The report is of importance as the CBI as it is pursuing the Babri demolition case in various courts of law.
The CBI will look into the leads generated, which purports to be fresh evidence, by the Commission during the course of its investigation. After going through the voluminous report in detail, the agency will then decide whether the fresh evidence can be incorporated in the supplementary chargesheet against the accused.
The report has indicted 68 persons including former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and his Deputy LK Advani for their role in the Babri demolition. The report, besides terming Vajpayee as pseudo-secularist, had found all of them culpable for communal discord.
Although, it is a routine procedure as the government has to hand over reports of such enquiry commissions to the investigating agency, but, in this case, the timing is crucial.
The government is clearly looking to make it apparent that it is serious about moving ahead and expediting the Babri Masjid demolition related cases pending in various courts.
In fact, the government had made it clear in its action taken report (ATR), submitted along with the Liberhan Report that it wants to expedite the entire trial.
In the ATR, the government also promised that a bill to check communal violence was being contemplated which will include provisions on some these recommendations while the Election Commission would also be moved to look into them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in