Government hands over Liberhan report to CBI
New Delhi: A day after the politically explosive Liberhan report on Babri Masjid demolition was tabled in the Parliament, the Centre on Wednesday decided to hand over the report to the CBI.
The report is of importance as the CBI as it is pursuing the Babri demolition case in various courts of law.
The CBI will look into the leads generated, which purports to be fresh evidence, by the Commission during the course of its investigation. After going through the voluminous report in detail, the agency will then decide whether the fresh evidence can be incorporated in the supplementary chargesheet against the accused.
The report has indicted 68 persons including former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and his Deputy LK Advani for their role in the Babri demolition. The report, besides terming Vajpayee as pseudo-secularist, had found all of them culpable for communal discord.
Although, it is a routine procedure as the government has to hand over reports of such enquiry commissions to the investigating agency, but, in this case, the timing is crucial.
The government is clearly looking to make it apparent that it is serious about moving ahead and expediting the Babri Masjid demolition related cases pending in various courts.
In fact, the government had made it clear in its action taken report (ATR), submitted along with the Liberhan Report that it wants to expedite the entire trial.
In the ATR, the government also promised that a bill to check communal violence was being contemplated which will include provisions on some these recommendations while the Election Commission would also be moved to look into them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers