Government nod for joint ventures by defence PSUs
New Delhi: Government on Thursday approved Defence
Ministry guidelines for its public sector units (PSUs) to
establish joint ventures with private firms, a step that will
increase opportunities to obtain advanced technologies from
"The Union Cabinet today approved the guidelines for
establishing Joint Venture Companies by Defence Public Sector
Undertakings (DPSUs). The guidelines contain provisions for
important matters that are critical from a national security
perspective," an official release said here.
"The Ministry will issue the guidelines to harness the
emerging dynamism of the private sector in India and
increasing opportunities to obtain advanced technologies from
foreign sources through adoption of appropriate partnership
approaches by DPSUs," it added.
Such JVs were allowed in the Defence Production Policy
released last year but they were recently put on hold by the
Ministry after the Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL) tied up
with a private shipyard, which was opposed by its other rival
Officials said the guidelines will help in "enhancing
fairness and transparency in the selection of the JV partner"
by the DPSUs while ensuring a "well-defined nature and scope"
of the tie up.
As per the guidelines, DPSUs will retain the "affirmative
rights" for taking key decisions in the JV company.
"Retention of the affirmative right of DPSU for prior
approval to key JV decisions such as amendments to the
articles of association of the JV company, declaration of
dividend, sale of substantial assets, and formation of further
subsidiaries," the release said.
The guidelines provide a "streamlined, fair and
transparent framework for entering into JVs by DPSUs, with the
ultimate objective of better risk-management and shorter time
frames for delivery to meet the increasing demands of our
They said the new framework will also help in "enhancing
self-reliance in the defence sector as a whole. As per the
guidelines approved by the Cabinet, the DPSUs will have the
"exit" provision in the Joint Venture companies.
"The formation of JVs will henceforth be undertaken by
Board-managed DPSUs within the framework of the JV guidelines
and there will be regular reporting and monitoring of the
functioning of these companies," the release said.
Officials said, "It is expected that the guidelines will
foster better and deeper partnerships between the DPSUs and
private partners, in order that substantive self-reliance is
adequately achieved in the synergised environment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon