Government nod to Copyright Amendment Bill
New Delhi: The government on Thursday gave its nod to the Copyright Amendment Bill along with two other bills which would see setting up of innovation universities and mandatory accreditation of higher education institutions.
The Copyright Bill, which was deferred by the Cabinet on April 26 amid differences between HRD and I&B ministries over some of its provisions was vetted today with further "fine tuning", sources said, adding no provisions have been dropped in the process.
The legislation was opposed in Parliament in the last session over the statutory licensing for radio broadcast of literary and musical works.
The amendments to the Copyright Act, 1958, aim at according unassignable rights to `creative artists` such as lyricists, playback singers, music directors, film directors, dialogue writers who will be paid royalty every time the movie they have worked in is aired on a television channel.
The Cabinet cleared the decks for introduction of the `Universities for Research and Innovation Bill, 2012` which provides for establishment and incorporation of universities for research and innovation which would be at the fount of making India the global knowledge hub.
The sources said setting up of 14 such universities under the proposal will no longer be "sacrosanct".
The universities will be set up which can be fully public funded, fully private funded or in the PPP mode.
The government will examine proposals and once they are found acceptable, the government will enter into a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with the promoter which will then be notified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand