Government reconstitutes National Advisory Council
New Delhi: The government has reconstituted the National Advisory Council (NAC) chaired by Sonia Gandhi by dropping three members and inducting two new faces.
Mihir Shah, Member, Planning Commission, and Ashis Mondal, founder of the Bhopal-based NGO, Action for Social Advancement, have been inducted in the advisory panel for a period of one year.
Noted agriculture scientist M S Swaminathan, bureaucrat- turned-activist Harsh Mander and academician Madhav Gadgil have been denied renomination.
The tenure of the NAC had expired on May 31. The government reconstituted the advisory panel yesterday making it a 12-member body, including Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Other members of the panel who have been renominated are N C Saxena, Narendra Jadhav, Pramod Tandon, Aruna Roy, A K Shiva Kumar, Deep Joshi, Anu Aga, Farah Naqvi and Mirai Chatterjee. The tenure of the members of the reconstituted panel is till May 31, 2013.
Jean Dreze, who was appointed member of the NAC in 2009, had quit after the panel had sent its recommendations to the government on the Food Security Bill.
Ram Dayal Munda, a prominent tribal leader and NAC member since 2009, passed away in September last year.
A meeting of the NAC which was scheduled today has been postponed to July 6.
Currently, the NAC is deliberating on issues like watershed development, climate-smart agriculture and improving sex ratio at birth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi