Government selling country to foreigners: Shiv Sena
New Delhi: Emphasising that foreign investment in retail will prove the death knell for small traders, the Shiv Sena on Thursday accused the government of selling the country to foreigners.
"The government is selling the country to foreigners like Wal-Mart. If Sukhdev and Bhagat Singh were alive, they would have bombed the people who are sitting here and selling our country," said party`s Sanjay Raut, while speaking in the debate in the Rajya Sabha on the decision allowing foreign equity in retail trade.
He said FDI in retail will force small traders to shut their shops and commit suicide.
Targeting Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati for supporting the government, Raut said: "Mayawati in the past stated that FDI in retail was only to benefit Rahul Gandhi`s friends; today she has started to support them?"
"I want to know how many Italian traders will be allowed to come and set up their stores in India," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!