Government selling country to foreigners: Shiv Sena
New Delhi: Emphasising that foreign investment in retail will prove the death knell for small traders, the Shiv Sena on Thursday accused the government of selling the country to foreigners.
"The government is selling the country to foreigners like Wal-Mart. If Sukhdev and Bhagat Singh were alive, they would have bombed the people who are sitting here and selling our country," said party`s Sanjay Raut, while speaking in the debate in the Rajya Sabha on the decision allowing foreign equity in retail trade.
He said FDI in retail will force small traders to shut their shops and commit suicide.
Targeting Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati for supporting the government, Raut said: "Mayawati in the past stated that FDI in retail was only to benefit Rahul Gandhi`s friends; today she has started to support them?"
"I want to know how many Italian traders will be allowed to come and set up their stores in India," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing