Government to set up independent coal regulator
New Delhi: The union government is planning to set up an independent regulator for the coal sector, Minister of State for Coal Pratik Prakashbapu Patil said Tuesday.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, the minister said the proposed regulator would ensure more optimal development and conservation of coal resources, rational pricing and better distribution of coal, evolution of a more competitive market and a level playing field for new entrants in the sector.
Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal last month said that the group of ministers (GoM) deliberating the appointment of a coal regulator is likely to give its final recommendations soon.
The union cabinet in May 2012 asked the GoM, headed by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram, to make recommendations about the proposed coal regulator`s powers and functions.
Independent regulation of the coal sector is considered important for competitiveness of e-auction, fixing guidelines for price revision in supply pacts, fixing trading margins and increasing transparency in allocation of reserves.
A coal regulator was recommended in the Integrated Energy Policy as well as by the T.L. Shankar Committee on the coal sector reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets