Government urged to help Kashmiri freed in 1996 blast case
New Delhi: A forceful plea was made in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday for rehabilitating a Kashmiri youth who has been acquitted in the Lajpat Nagar bombing case after spending 14 years in jail.
"What do we as a society owe to Syed Maqbool Shah?" CPI-M leader Brinda Karat asked during question hour. "Can we shrug this off as collateral damage? It will be a shame if we do."
The government must guarantee a secure life and livelihood for him, she added.
"The central government must ensure that he gets a job so that this sends out a strong message to our brothers and sisters in Jammu and Kashmir that such incidents will not be tolerated," Karat said.
She also wondered why such trials take so long.
"The questions is: Why does it take 14 long years? There must be a time bound framework for such trials to conclude," Karat said.
"Shah was only 17 years old when he was arrested (in 1996). The tragedy is that he had come (to Delhi) to meet his brother. He was arrested on what has now proved to be blatantly false evidence," she said.
As Karat concluded, SS Ahluwalia and other Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members rose in her support, prompting Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan to remark: "The house associates itself (with Karat`s statement)."
Shah was among the four accused acquitted April 8 by a Delhi court for lack of evidence to prove their involvement in the May 2, 1996 bombing in Lajpat Nagar`s Central Market that claimed 13 lives.
Three convicts in the case have been sentenced to death and three others have been awarded varying terms of imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price