Government`s focus on strengthening police to fight Maoists: Pillai
New Delhi: Union Home Secretary GK Pillai on Thursday said strengthening the state police to fight the Maoists is the cornerstone of the government`s policy.
Pillai was replying to a question on the ministry`s stand on using the army to contain Naxals, hours before a crucial meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security on Thursday evening to deliberate upon a Home Ministry`s proposal for greater role of the army in tackling Maoists menace.
"I think basically the whole strategy has been to strengthen the state police to be able to fight the Maoists. The whole focus of our strategy has been that our paramilitary forces would help the state government and the state police forces to restore civil administration," Pillai told a TV channel.
"This remains the corner stone of our policy and we have finetuned some of the issues in the light of development that should take place. And I think it is better to wait till the cabinet committee takes a view on the proposals," he added.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has convened the crucial meet, which will be attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Home Minister P Chidambaram and Minister of External Affairs S.M. Krishna.
Manmohan Singh will chair the key meeting.
Though the army is currently engaged in training paramilitary forces and policemen in guerrilla warfare and is even willing to depute its mid-rank officer to help paramilitary forces in their operations against Maoists, they are wary of full-fledged deployment and getting embroiled in the Naxal areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!