Government`s focus on strengthening police to fight Maoists: Pillai
New Delhi: Union Home Secretary GK Pillai on Thursday said strengthening the state police to fight the Maoists is the cornerstone of the government`s policy.
Pillai was replying to a question on the ministry`s stand on using the army to contain Naxals, hours before a crucial meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security on Thursday evening to deliberate upon a Home Ministry`s proposal for greater role of the army in tackling Maoists menace.
"I think basically the whole strategy has been to strengthen the state police to be able to fight the Maoists. The whole focus of our strategy has been that our paramilitary forces would help the state government and the state police forces to restore civil administration," Pillai told a TV channel.
"This remains the corner stone of our policy and we have finetuned some of the issues in the light of development that should take place. And I think it is better to wait till the cabinet committee takes a view on the proposals," he added.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has convened the crucial meet, which will be attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Home Minister P Chidambaram and Minister of External Affairs S.M. Krishna.
Manmohan Singh will chair the key meeting.
Though the army is currently engaged in training paramilitary forces and policemen in guerrilla warfare and is even willing to depute its mid-rank officer to help paramilitary forces in their operations against Maoists, they are wary of full-fledged deployment and getting embroiled in the Naxal areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!