Governor`s post has become a white elephant: Shiv Sena
Mumbai: Calling gubernatorial posts as `white elephants`, Shiv Sena on Saturday backed Kamla Beniwal`s sacking as Mizoram Governor and said that "Congress has reaped what it sowed".
"Defeated Congress leaders are shedding tears over Beniwal`s removal, calling it vindictive politics," an editorial in Sena mouthpiece Saamana said.
"But what is wrong if the (Narendra) Modi government carried on the Congress` tradition of removing Governors after coming to power," it asked.
"It is agreed that the Governor`s post is constitutional. But Congress, which ruled the country for most of the years, misused it for their benefit and to ensure inconvenience to political rivals," the Sena said.
"That is why there were instances which damaged the dignity of the post," the editorial said.
"To tell the truth, the posts of Governors have become white elephants.... We should decide whether to nurture these white elephants, and how much to struggle for them," it said.
Attacking Beniwal, it claimed, "While she was Gujarat Governor, Beniwal freely used the government plane and helicopter to travel to Jaipur. She used the chopper 69 times. Due to such excessive expenditure, there was a burden of Rs 1200 crore on the state exchequer."
"Congressmen should remember that making noise over Beniwal`s removal won`t be of any use," the editorial said, adding, "If they try to corner the Modi government on the issue, they will fall on their faces."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow