Govt according high priority in honouring freedom fighters: CM
Chennai: DMK government accorded high
priority in honouring persons from the state who had fought
for India`s independence and the development of the state and
Tamil language, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi said today.
In his address after launching a commemorative stamp in
honour of freedom fighter "Rebel" Muthuramalinga Sethupathy,
Karunanidhi said Tamil Nadu was a pioneer in this regard.
"We have not only unveiled statues of leaders or named
buildings after them or built their memorials but we have also
taken steps and ensured the Centre released commemorative
stamps and postal covers in their honour," Karunanidhi said.
He recalled the various steps taken by the DMK government
at different times and said today`s event was yet another
effort in that direction.
Recalling the contributions of Sethupathy, Karunanidhi
said the former, hailing from the royal family of
Ramanathapuram, had defied the British on various issues
including turning down a request for tax exemption for their
goods passing through his region, prompting them to add the
epithet "rebel" before his name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof