Govt according high priority in honouring freedom fighters: CM
Chennai: DMK government accorded high
priority in honouring persons from the state who had fought
for India`s independence and the development of the state and
Tamil language, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi said today.
In his address after launching a commemorative stamp in
honour of freedom fighter "Rebel" Muthuramalinga Sethupathy,
Karunanidhi said Tamil Nadu was a pioneer in this regard.
"We have not only unveiled statues of leaders or named
buildings after them or built their memorials but we have also
taken steps and ensured the Centre released commemorative
stamps and postal covers in their honour," Karunanidhi said.
He recalled the various steps taken by the DMK government
at different times and said today`s event was yet another
effort in that direction.
Recalling the contributions of Sethupathy, Karunanidhi
said the former, hailing from the royal family of
Ramanathapuram, had defied the British on various issues
including turning down a request for tax exemption for their
goods passing through his region, prompting them to add the
epithet "rebel" before his name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?