Govt advertisement justifies fuel price hike
New Delhi: The government Sunday released a large advertisement titled, "A small price to pay today... For a better tomorrow", justifying the recent increase in fuel prices.
The hike has already invited protests and demonstrations by ruling alliance partners and opposition parties.
The empowered Group of Ministers (eGoM) Friday agreed to the decontrol of price of petrol, which meant an increase of at least Rs 3.50 per litre in most metro cities. The government also hiked the prices of diesel by Rs 2 a litre, kerosene by Rs 3 a litre and cooking gas by Rs 35 per cylinder.
On Sunday, a typical large half-page advertisement in some national papers by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas had the title, "A small price to pay today... For a better tomorrow".
It said that even after the price increase, the government will bear a "burden of Rs 53,000 crore during the year".
This was a reference to the under-recoveries - the industry jargon for the losses suffered by oil marketing companies for selling fuel products at fixed, subsidised rates.
The advertisement had a table showing the comparative costs of cooking gas or LPG and kerosene in the neighbouring countries, with that of the fuel products in Delhi.
For example, Sri Lankans have to pay Rs 782 per cylinder of cooking gas and Rs 39 per litre for kerosene. This is much higher than the revised rate of Rs 345 for LPG cylinder and Rs 12.32 for kerosene in Delhi.
"Eighty percent of the country`s requirement of oil is met by imports. This naturally impacts prices due to volatility in international oil markets," said the advertisement.
The Left-run states of West Bengal and Kerala observed strikes against the fuel price hike. Allies like Trinamool Congress and DMK expressed their unhappiness, especially as their states are set to go for elections next year.
The principal opposition, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) also held demonstrations across the country against the fuel price hike.
The ruling Congress supported the government, stating that there was no option but to raise prices in the wake of unsustainable under-recoveries due to rising international crude prices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon