Govt agrees to debate on Maken`s statement
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, August 08, 2011, 17:25
  
New Delhi: With Parliament being stalled on Monday over Sports Minister Ajay Maken's statement on CWG, the government has agreed to have a discussion on the matter tomorrow when the Opposition is expected to attack him along with the PMO and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.

The discussion in the Lok Sabha will be initiated by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha and followed by Kirti Azad, sources said.

In the Rajya Sabha, the discussion will be started by Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley and followed by Prakash Javadekar.

During the debate, the Opposition is expected to attack Maken, whom they accuse of misleading Parliament by stating on August 5 that Suresh Kalmadi was appointed as CWG Organising Committee chief by NDA government and the UPA dispensation could not do anything about it later as it was bound by Host City Agreement signed with the Commonwealth Games Federation.

An unfazed Maken today stuck to his statement and said he was ready to give any clarification in Parliament.

The Opposition is also planning to target the PMO and Dikshit, whose resignation is being demanded for her alleged role in wasteful expenditure in a project linked to the Games held in October last year.

PTI


First Published: Monday, August 08, 2011, 15:49


comments powered by Disqus