Govt aims at increasing tourist arrival
Guwahati: The Union Ministry of Tourism has set a target of increasing the share of India in world tourist arrivals from present 0.6 percent to one percent in the next five years.
"India has emerged as a leading tourist destination with all its varied attractions and arrival of foreign tourists have been increasing, but we need to accelerate the rate of its growth," Union Minister of state for Tourism (Independent Charge) K Chiranjeevi said.
He was speaking at the inauguration of the three-day International Tourism Mart, 2013 in Guwahati. The Mart is the first ever international tourism event to be organised in North-East that aims at promoting the region as an attractive tourist destination for foreign tourists.
The decision by the Ministry of Home Affairs to lift the restriction of the two-month gap on re-entry of foreign nationals coming to India on a tourist visa would facilitate visitors to the country to a large extent, Chiranjeevi said.
Stating that the relaxation would also benefit the north eastern states, he said, "My ministry is committed to the development and promotion of tourism in this beautiful region.
"Ten percent of the plan budget has to be allocated to the North-East region and I am happy to state that we have exceeded this target which will help in the development of tourism in the region," he said.
The Union Minister urged all stakeholders to have the vision to modernise, responding to changing trends in the global tourism sector and to partner with the government to make India realise its full potential in tourism.
Chiranjeevi said his ministry has taken initiatives for growth in domestic and international tourism, which included central financial assistance to states and Union Territories for development of quality infrastructure for tourist destinations and circuits.
The `Hunar Se Rozgar` scheme has been launched to create employable skills among youths, he said.
Niche tourism products such as rural, medical, wellness, golf and eco-tourism were being developed to promote the country as a 365-day destination.
The concept of `film tourism` was also being promoted as several destinations gained in tourist arrivals as they were venues of popular domestic and international cinema.
A `Campaign Clean India` was also launched to improve the standards of hygiene and cleanliness in and around tourist sites and destinations, the Minister said.
There were new promotional campaigns on the themes `Find what you seek` and `Go Beyond` to promote lesser known destinations for tourists from across the world to find the destination or product of their choice in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!