Govt amends rules for safe custody of tapped phone conversations
New Delhi: In a move to ensure safe custody of tapped telephone conversations, government has amended an agreement with telecom operators under which they will have to be connected to Centralised Monitoring System (CMS) being set up for interception of all telecom and Internet services.
In the aftermath of leaking of tapped conversations of lobbyist Niira Radia with politicians, corporate honchos and journalists, government had decided on the concept of CMS so that lawful interceptions of telephone and Internet services was a closely-guarded secret.
Amending 41.10 condition of Unified Access Services with telecom operators, government has said the move was being taken in public interest and security of the nation.
For implementation of the same, a telecom operator`s Interception System needs to be connected to the CMS at Regional Monitoring Centre (RMC) through interception Store and Forward (ISF) server placed in their premises.
Under the amended condition, the telecom operators shall provide the connectivity upto the nearest point of presence of Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) network of CMS "at its own cost" in the form of dark optical fibre with redundancy.
"If the dark optical fibre connectivity is not readily available, the connectivity on optical fibre media may be extended in the form of 10 Mbps bandwidth or higher.
"However, licensee (telecom operator) shall endeavour to establish connectivity by dark optical fibre at the earliest," the amendment said, adding that "from the point of presence of MPLS network of CMS onwards traffic will be handled by the government at its own cost."
At present, ten designated security agencies are authorised to monitor the telephone calls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP