Govt amends rules for safe custody of tapped phone conversations
New Delhi: In a move to ensure safe custody of tapped telephone conversations, government has amended an agreement with telecom operators under which they will have to be connected to Centralised Monitoring System (CMS) being set up for interception of all telecom and Internet services.
In the aftermath of leaking of tapped conversations of lobbyist Niira Radia with politicians, corporate honchos and journalists, government had decided on the concept of CMS so that lawful interceptions of telephone and Internet services was a closely-guarded secret.
Amending 41.10 condition of Unified Access Services with telecom operators, government has said the move was being taken in public interest and security of the nation.
For implementation of the same, a telecom operator`s Interception System needs to be connected to the CMS at Regional Monitoring Centre (RMC) through interception Store and Forward (ISF) server placed in their premises.
Under the amended condition, the telecom operators shall provide the connectivity upto the nearest point of presence of Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) network of CMS "at its own cost" in the form of dark optical fibre with redundancy.
"If the dark optical fibre connectivity is not readily available, the connectivity on optical fibre media may be extended in the form of 10 Mbps bandwidth or higher.
"However, licensee (telecom operator) shall endeavour to establish connectivity by dark optical fibre at the earliest," the amendment said, adding that "from the point of presence of MPLS network of CMS onwards traffic will be handled by the government at its own cost."
At present, ten designated security agencies are authorised to monitor the telephone calls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'