Govt appears to have closed FM `bugging` probe
New Delhi: A raging controversy
notwithstanding, the government appears to have closed the
probe into the reported bugging episode in the offices of
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and his senior aides as
neither Intelligence Bureau nor private detectives "found"
Official sources said during its probe the IB has not
found anything suspicious which suggested bugging of the
offices of the Finance Minister, his advisor Omita Paul, his
private secretary Manoj Pant and two conference rooms.
The private detectives hired for electronically sweeping
the rooms of Mukherjee and others also have found nothing
during their probe, they said.
The IB also questioned the private detectives as well as
the then CDBT member (Investigations) Sudhir Chandra and all
of them confirmed that nothing has been found in relation to
the "planted adhesives" reportedly detected in the North Block
offices of the Finance Minister last year.
"Since nothing has been found in the two enquiries, there
is no point in continuing it," sources said.
After the detection of "planted adhesives", Mukherjee
wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking him to
order a "secret inquiry" into what he called "serious breach
of security" in his office.
Before the IB was asked by the Prime Minister to look
into the matter, private detectives were called by the Central
Board of Direct Taxes to conduct an "electronic sweep" on the
Mukherjee last week had said during its inquiry, the IB
had found "nothing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30