Govt appoints special court to try 2G scam
New Delhi: Government on Monday appointed a
special court to try cases relating to 2G-spectrum scam
following directions of the Supreme Court.
Delhi Government issued a notification designating Om
Prakash Saini as a special judge to "undertake the trial of
cases in relation to all matters pertaining to 2G scam
In a separate notification, Department of Revenue in
the Finance Ministry designated the sessions court of Saini as
special court to deal with offences under the Prevention of
Money Laundering Act 2002.
The Law Ministry had favoured the special court to be
given the powers of a sessions court as the Enforcement
Directorate, looking into alleged violations of Prevention of
Money Laundering Act, cannot file a chargesheet in a lower
court according to the provisions of the Act.
"We have issued the notification to try exclusively
the 2G scam cases after getting approval from the Lt Governor
Tejinder Khanna," Delhi Law Secretary SP Garg said.
The apex court had asked the government to set up a
special court exclusively for dealing with the 2G spectrum
CBI had informed the court that it will file the first
chargesheet in 2G spectrum scam against former Telecom
Minister A Raja and other accused under the Prevention of
Corruption Act for cheating and forgery by March 31.
Attorney General GE Vahanvati had written to Moily
suggesting him to request the Chief Justice of the Delhi High
Court to initiate the process for nominating a judge for the
Following the AG`s opinion. Moily had written to Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi High Court Chief
Justice Deepak Misra to nominate a judge for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown