Govt appoints special court to try 2G scam
New Delhi: Government on Monday appointed a
special court to try cases relating to 2G-spectrum scam
following directions of the Supreme Court.
Delhi Government issued a notification designating Om
Prakash Saini as a special judge to "undertake the trial of
cases in relation to all matters pertaining to 2G scam
In a separate notification, Department of Revenue in
the Finance Ministry designated the sessions court of Saini as
special court to deal with offences under the Prevention of
Money Laundering Act 2002.
The Law Ministry had favoured the special court to be
given the powers of a sessions court as the Enforcement
Directorate, looking into alleged violations of Prevention of
Money Laundering Act, cannot file a chargesheet in a lower
court according to the provisions of the Act.
"We have issued the notification to try exclusively
the 2G scam cases after getting approval from the Lt Governor
Tejinder Khanna," Delhi Law Secretary SP Garg said.
The apex court had asked the government to set up a
special court exclusively for dealing with the 2G spectrum
CBI had informed the court that it will file the first
chargesheet in 2G spectrum scam against former Telecom
Minister A Raja and other accused under the Prevention of
Corruption Act for cheating and forgery by March 31.
Attorney General GE Vahanvati had written to Moily
suggesting him to request the Chief Justice of the Delhi High
Court to initiate the process for nominating a judge for the
Following the AG`s opinion. Moily had written to Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi High Court Chief
Justice Deepak Misra to nominate a judge for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur