Govt approves acquisition of Russian Kamov-31 choppers
New Delhi: In a bid to strengthen the Navy`s capabilities to detect airborne and surface-based maritime threats, Government has approved the acquisition of five Russian Kamov-31 early warning choppers.
Defence Ministry officials said the Cabinet Committee of Security (CCS) at a meeting on Tuesday gave its approval for procuring these choppers, which can track 30-40 targets on
ground and air simultaneously with its airborne electronic warfare radar, mounted on the underbelly of the chopper.
The deal for the five choppers between India and Russia is expected to be signed in the next couple of months, they said.
Navy already has a fleet of nine Ka-31 helicopters, which are deployed on India`s only aircraft carrier INS Virat and the Talwar Class Guided Missile frigates of the Navy. They
are also operated from Navy`s shore based air stations.
To modernise its air arm, the Navy is on a look out for various types of helicopters including the 10 tonne class multi-role helicopters for which global tenders were released
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement