Govt attempting to dilute CAG’s power: Bhushan
Chennai: Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan on Monday hit at the Congress-led UPA Government over talks of the CAG being made into a multi-member body, and said that this is an dishonest attempt to dilute the power of the constitutional body.
"This is an dishonest attempt to dilute the power of this CAG, who has given a number of very tough and uncompromising reports exposing the corruption and the venalities in this government," said Bhushan, while reacting to media report of the UPA Government mulling over making the CAG a multi-member body.
"The same thing had been done with the Election Commission (EC) many years ago, when there was a tough election commissioner, Seshan (T N Seshan), in order to dilute the power of the EC," he added. Bhushan, however, said that he had no particular objection to multi-level bodies to these regulatory institutions like CAG, EC or Lokpal, but added that a proper independent selection committee should be made to select the members of these bodies.
Minister of State in Prime Minister``s Office V Narayanasamy had earlier on Sunday out rightly denied media report of the UPA Government mulling over making CAG a multi-member body, saying he was misquoted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH