Govt attempting to dilute CAG’s power: Bhushan
Chennai: Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan on Monday hit at the Congress-led UPA Government over talks of the CAG being made into a multi-member body, and said that this is an dishonest attempt to dilute the power of the constitutional body.
"This is an dishonest attempt to dilute the power of this CAG, who has given a number of very tough and uncompromising reports exposing the corruption and the venalities in this government," said Bhushan, while reacting to media report of the UPA Government mulling over making the CAG a multi-member body.
"The same thing had been done with the Election Commission (EC) many years ago, when there was a tough election commissioner, Seshan (T N Seshan), in order to dilute the power of the EC," he added. Bhushan, however, said that he had no particular objection to multi-level bodies to these regulatory institutions like CAG, EC or Lokpal, but added that a proper independent selection committee should be made to select the members of these bodies.
Minister of State in Prime Minister``s Office V Narayanasamy had earlier on Sunday out rightly denied media report of the UPA Government mulling over making CAG a multi-member body, saying he was misquoted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!