Govt bans bulk SMSes and MMSes ahead of Ayodhya verdict
New Delhi: As a measure of abundant caution in the face of Ayodhya verdict, the government on Wednesday banned bulk SMSes and MMSes for three days with immediate effect.
The Ministry of Communications issued the order in consultation with the Ministry of Home Affairs.
The order has been issued to all mobile telecom service providers in the country for "banning all bulk SMSes and MMSes in all service areas with immediate effect for next 72 hours".
The step comes two days before the verdict by the Allahabad High Court on the title suit of Ramjanambhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute on Friday.
The government is apprehensive that some extreme elements may foment trouble by inciting communal passions after the delivery of the judgement.
Earlier in the day, Home Minister P Chidambaram appealed for peace and caution against rushing to any inappropriate conclusion over the judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'