Govt cancels dinner for award winners over Sarabjit Singh`s death
New Delhi: The I&B Ministry on Thursday cancelled a dinner to be hosted here in honour of the National Film Award Winners following the death of Sarabjit Singh as a mark of respect to him.
In view of the anguish felt by the entire nation on the tragic and painful death of Sarabjit, Minister Manish Tewari decided to cancel the dinner as scheduled today, said officials.
Condemning the brutal assault on Sarabjit, Tewari said "the his unfortunate death "in Pakistan?s custody has hurt the sentiments of all Indians. The country, in this hour of grief, stands by the family of the victim."
The award function tomorrow, to be attended by President Pranab Mukherjee, will, however, be held as per schedule, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY