Govt cancels dinner for award winners over Sarabjit Singh`s death
New Delhi: The I&B Ministry on Thursday cancelled a dinner to be hosted here in honour of the National Film Award Winners following the death of Sarabjit Singh as a mark of respect to him.
In view of the anguish felt by the entire nation on the tragic and painful death of Sarabjit, Minister Manish Tewari decided to cancel the dinner as scheduled today, said officials.
Condemning the brutal assault on Sarabjit, Tewari said "the his unfortunate death "in Pakistan?s custody has hurt the sentiments of all Indians. The country, in this hour of grief, stands by the family of the victim."
The award function tomorrow, to be attended by President Pranab Mukherjee, will, however, be held as per schedule, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred