Govt challenges CAG for open debate over 2G report
New Delhi: The government once again launched a blistering attack on the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on Saturday following the poor response to the 2G spectrum auction, saying that the auditor`s scam loss figure of Rs 1.76 lakh crore has proved to be a "myth".
Blaming the country`s top auditor for "sensationalising" the 2G scam loss figure, union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, Manish Tewari, asked for an open debate on 2G related facts and clear the air on the issue.
While addressing a press conference, Tewari asked,"Very humbly and with respect, we request the CAG to come on a public platform and have an open debate on the findings of the 2G report."
“What is extremely important is that in May 2010 when the draft report was prepared, the loss was quantified at Rs 2,645 crore, but in November 2010 when the report was presented in Parliament, this loss got exponentially multiplied to Rs 1.76 lakh crore. How did this leap of faith take place", he asked.
He also asked was it correct for officials of CAG to be assisting Public Accounts Committee (PAC), officially or unofficially, in preparing its report. The third question, he asked was how CAG came to the conclusion that the loss incurred is 1.76 lakh crore.
"These are questions that the PAC Chairperson, Murli Manohar Joshi, for whom I have the utmost respect, needs to answer," he said.
Tewari described the handling of 2G report by CAG as ‘sensational’ and said that the entire figures were ‘mythical’ and not supported by substantial methodology.
While targeting BJP over insider claim, Tewari said the opposition is ignoring the Constitution. “Some outside people also influenced the assessment of 2G”, he said.
He strictly said that the action should be taken against those giving sensational figures on 2G loss.
Giving a twist to the 2G allocation row, former Director-General, Post and Telecommunications at CAG, RP Singh, yesterday, said a report prepared by him contained no losses on account of 2G spectrum allocation and questioned CAG`s estimates of presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
"After completing the audit of Ministry of Telecom, which was under my direct charge, I prepared a draft audit report covering each and every aspect... My report did not contain any loss figure," he had said.
Responding to the charges, Joshi said, "Singh`s allegations on 2G reports are an attempt to malign CAG and PAC by vested interests including the government."
Joshi offered to resign if allegations against him can be proved, after coming in the eye of a storm when RP Singh accused him of calling audit officials to his home for preparation of the PAC report on 2G scam that indicted the government.
Meanwhile, BJP accused the former CAG official as being a "pawn in the hands of the government" and termed his comments as a "sinister conspiracy".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly