Govt `closely watching` all activities of China: AK Antony
New Delhi: Government is "closely watching" all activities of China and necessary measures have been initiated to protect the economic and security interests of the country, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Monday.
"Government is closely watching all activities of China and is fully seized of security needs of the country. Necessary measures have been initiated to ensure national security and economic interests of the country," Antony said in Lok Sabha in response to a query.
Responding to a query on China`s plan to establish an astronomical observatory in Aksai Chin area with help of Japan and South Korea, he said, "the observatory is apparently coming up at Shiquanhe which is located in the People`s Republic of China."
In reply to a query on the US government`s request for missions in the Northeast region to recover remains of US service personnel who died in World War-II, he said, "So far, three missions have been conducted.
"All future missions are envisaged to be conducted after due consultation with relevant agencies in central government and concerned state governments."
To a query on removal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from Jammu and Kashmir, Antony said, "no decision has been taken so far to withdraw it from any area of the state."
"The Group of Interlocutors in their report has suggested amendment of AFSPA as one of the measures," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state