`Govt committed to correct imbalance in defence acquisition`
New Delhi: The government remains committed to correct the imbalance in defence acquisition as it is aware of the country`s heavy reliance on import of major defence
equipment, Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju said on Tuesday.
"We are still a long way from establishing ourselves as a major defence equipment manufacturing nation with heavy reliance on imports. The government views import of critical capabilities with concern and is committed to correct this imbalance," Raju said here.
Addressing a seminar on `Command, Control, Computers, Communication, Intelligence and Information` known as C4I2 Summit-2011 here, Raju stressed on expanding the indigenous
defence industrial base to correct this imbalance.
"This imbalance can only be corrected by expansion of indigenous defence industrial base, increasing investment in research and development, identification of core technologies
where India is already a lead country, and by promoting private-public partnership," he said.
He dismissed the concept of private and public sector as "potential rivals" and said the competition between the two will pave way for cooperation in defence sector.
"I believe that there is great scope for developing a synchronised complementaries in strengthening and widening the defence industrial base. I am optimistic that competition will give way to cooperation, enabling both to grow as prospective partners in defence industry," Raju said.
He said that the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) prepared by the Defence Ministry looks at the industry as a capable partner for much needed transformation in this sector.
"The offset policy in DPP is sure to provide a fair playing ground to both the public and private sectors leading to an enhanced domestic capability," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed