Govt committed to double spending on R&D
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said the government is committed to doubling the overall spending on research and development (R&D) to at least 2 percent of the GDP by end of the 12th Five-Year Plan and felt the
need of greater participation from the private sector.
Addressing the Golden Jubliee Convocation of Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Singh said: "Our government is committed to raising R&D spending as a whole to at least 2 percent of the GDP by the end of the 12th Plan (2012-17) from
the current level of about one percent".
The government would have to ensure that a significant proportion of increased R&D spending is directed to the farm sector, he added.
At current prices, the country`s gross domestic produce (GDP) stands at about Rs 90,00,000 crore.
Singh said that the public sector needs to take lead in research activities, but emphasised on greater private sector investment in the agriculture sector, particularly in R&D.
"Indeed, it is unlikely that the goal of 2 percent of GDP in research can be achieved unless a significant part of this is financed by the private sector," he observed.
The Prime Minister said that there is need to promote "structured public private partnership" to foster better synergy among institutions and disciplines.
Singh stressed that research funding should be based on clearly defined research goals linked to achieving higher productivity in field.
He noted that the mode of research funding need to expand from just institutions to include individual researchers and research groups.
Singh further emphasised the need to make the entire R&D chain more gender sensitive and give priority to technological options that reduce the drudgery of women working on the farm.
Besides, he asked that agricultural research system needs to look inward to see whether it is keeping pace with global developments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'