Govt committed to meet Millennium Development Goals
New Delhi: The Government today said it was
committed to meet the Millennium Development Goals as well as
tackling diseases like HIV, AIDS and TB.
At a meeting with software czar Bill Gates, Union Health
Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said the government was also
committed towards the universal immunisation programme and
informed him about the road map for introduction of new
vaccines to cover more vaccine preventable diseases.
Gates is now heading the `Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation` which works in the fields of HIV and AIDS in
Azad appreciated the work being done by the Bill and
Melinda Gates Foundation for its continued support to the
National Aids Control Programme and the National Polio
Programme, senior Health Ministry officials said.
Gates on his part congratulated the Indian Government for
its leadership on HIV AIDS prevention which can be a model for
the rest of the world.
The Gates Foundation today increased its grants to Avahan
an initiative to reduce the spread of HIV in India –- by USD
80 million to USD 338 million.
Launched in 2003 by the Foundation, Avahan provides
funding and support to targetted HIV prevention programmes in
six states and along the national trucking routes. Prior to
today`s announcement, the foundation had committed a total of
USD 258 million to Avahan.
During this transition, Avahan will provide financial
and technical support to ensure that prevention programmes can
be sustained over time. Avahan has already awarded more than
USD 100 million in grants for this transition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown