Govt committed to meet Millennium Development Goals
New Delhi: The Government today said it was
committed to meet the Millennium Development Goals as well as
tackling diseases like HIV, AIDS and TB.
At a meeting with software czar Bill Gates, Union Health
Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said the government was also
committed towards the universal immunisation programme and
informed him about the road map for introduction of new
vaccines to cover more vaccine preventable diseases.
Gates is now heading the `Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation` which works in the fields of HIV and AIDS in
Azad appreciated the work being done by the Bill and
Melinda Gates Foundation for its continued support to the
National Aids Control Programme and the National Polio
Programme, senior Health Ministry officials said.
Gates on his part congratulated the Indian Government for
its leadership on HIV AIDS prevention which can be a model for
the rest of the world.
The Gates Foundation today increased its grants to Avahan
an initiative to reduce the spread of HIV in India –- by USD
80 million to USD 338 million.
Launched in 2003 by the Foundation, Avahan provides
funding and support to targetted HIV prevention programmes in
six states and along the national trucking routes. Prior to
today`s announcement, the foundation had committed a total of
USD 258 million to Avahan.
During this transition, Avahan will provide financial
and technical support to ensure that prevention programmes can
be sustained over time. Avahan has already awarded more than
USD 100 million in grants for this transition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days