Govt committed to meet Millennium Development Goals
New Delhi: The Government today said it was
committed to meet the Millennium Development Goals as well as
tackling diseases like HIV, AIDS and TB.
At a meeting with software czar Bill Gates, Union Health
Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said the government was also
committed towards the universal immunisation programme and
informed him about the road map for introduction of new
vaccines to cover more vaccine preventable diseases.
Gates is now heading the `Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation` which works in the fields of HIV and AIDS in
Azad appreciated the work being done by the Bill and
Melinda Gates Foundation for its continued support to the
National Aids Control Programme and the National Polio
Programme, senior Health Ministry officials said.
Gates on his part congratulated the Indian Government for
its leadership on HIV AIDS prevention which can be a model for
the rest of the world.
The Gates Foundation today increased its grants to Avahan
an initiative to reduce the spread of HIV in India –- by USD
80 million to USD 338 million.
Launched in 2003 by the Foundation, Avahan provides
funding and support to targetted HIV prevention programmes in
six states and along the national trucking routes. Prior to
today`s announcement, the foundation had committed a total of
USD 258 million to Avahan.
During this transition, Avahan will provide financial
and technical support to ensure that prevention programmes can
be sustained over time. Avahan has already awarded more than
USD 100 million in grants for this transition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!