‘Govt committed to pass Whistle Blowers Bill this session`
New Delhi: The government is committed to passing of the Whistle Blowers Protection Bill during the current session of Parliament, Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy told Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
He said during Question Hour that the Whistle Blowers Protection Bill, 2011 was passed by the Lok Sabha on December 27, 2011 and thereafter sent to the Upper House.
The Bill seeks to set up a regular mechanism to encourage persons to disclose information on corruption or willful misuse of power by public servants, including ministers.
It was listed for consideration on December 28 and 29 but could not be taken up for discussion and passing. It came up for consideration and passing in the Rajya Sabha on August 14 this year but "discussion remained inconclusive", Narayanasamy said.
The government, he said, gave notices for moving certain official amendments to the bill during the monsoon session. Though the bill was listed for being taken up on a number of days in monsoon session, it could not be taken up for consideration.
He said notices were given last month for considering and passage of the bill along with amendments during the current winter session.
"The Government is committed to passing of the Bill...It is now a property of the House. We are prepared to discuss and pass the bill as early as possible," he said. "The Government is keen to get the bill passed at the earliest."
To a separate question, he said three per cent of government jobs have been reserved for persons with disabilities. Of this, one per cent each is reserved for persons suffering from blindness or low vision, hearing impairment and locomotor disability or cerebral palsy.
Promotions to higher grades are made as per provision of recruitment rules, he said.
"However, in cases where departmental promotion test is the only mode of promotion, proposal to give promotion on the basis of seniority or merit in service alone is not under consideration," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing